Torimiro, Dixon Olutade Ph.D
Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology,
OAU, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Chairman, Board of trustees, ACRYE
Read more about Torimiro >>>
The African Centre for Rural Youth Empowerment (ACRYE) was initiated and presented by Dixon Olutade Torimiro as his country’s action programme during his participation at the German Government/FAO’s sponsored 21st International Rural Youth Leaders Training Workshop held in the Bavarian Farmers’ Union Training Centre, Herrsching, Germany between June and July, 2002. ACRYE was officially inaugurated in Nigeria on the 11th of November, 2004 at the Amphi Theatre, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria.
Also, its maiden series of Youth Empowerment Publication entitled: Ethical Revolution among Nigerian Youth in Schools and Colleges was launched during the inauguration. The ceremony, which was widely publicized by the various media in Osun State, most especially, National Television Authority (NTA), Ile-Ife, Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC), Osogbo and Tribune Newspaper, was well attended by over 300 people of various classes including youth and adult. It was a very huge success!
REGISTRATION WITH CORPORATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION (CAC) AND UNITED NATIONS ON-LINE VOLUNTEERS (UNOV)
The African Centre for Rural Youth Empowerment registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission and was issued a Certificate of Registration on the 12th of September, 2005. The Centre also sought registration with the United Nations On-Line Volunteers (UNOV), which was granted on January 4, 2006.
The African Centre for Rural Youth Empowerment (ACRYE) is a holistic development initiative for creating opportunities for young men and women residing in rural communities of Nigeria by empowering them for a decent livelihood, through a group-oriented capacity building, skill development and entrepreneurial endeavors.
OUR AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aims and objectives for which the African Centre for Rural Youth Empowerment is established are to:
- Develop and promote ideas and/or organize programmes and/or engage in activities that will enhance adequate development of rural youth either solely or in collaboration with government agency, non –governmental organisations, community based organizations, international and/or foreign agencies
- Sensitize and organise rural youth into groups for development and empowerment programmes
- Develop and promote talents among the rural youth
- Organize local, national, international learned conferences, seminars, workshops and awards focusing on the youth capacity building, and empowerment initiatives for full integration into the main stream of agricultural, rural and national economic development in Nigeria
- Organise and sponsor local, national and international competitions, shows, exhibitions, holidays and exchange programmes for rural youth
- Organise training for rural youth on: exploration of rural resources, improved farm practices, poverty alleviation techniques, life enhancement and sex education, HIV/AIDS prevention and income generating/ entrepreneurial activities, information and communication management technologies etc
- Participate in and contribute to rural youth advancement activities at the local, national and international levels
- Conduct periodic documentation and keeping socio-economic data of rural youth situation in Nigeria
- Produce, source and circulate printed and non-printed materials related to the youth for the purpose of education and training